This course is an introduction to woodworking specially for beginners who have limited or no experience working with wood and power tools, and who wish to take up membership at Rekayu and be a Maker in their own right.
You could do the course to see if woodworking is indeed for you then take up membership, or you could enjoy a 30% discount on course fees if you are already a member (see separate link for existing members to enjoy a members’ price).
Link for existing members : https://www.pscpen.com/workshop/rekayu-introduction-to-woodworking-beginner-level-for-existing-rekayu-members/
In this guided learning course, you will be taught how to operate power tools safely and effectively and will produce 2 project pieces.
The course is for 10 hours and comprises 3 x 3+ hour sessions.
Make a simple open box or a stool and in the process learn the following:
– How to drill clean holes.
– How to measure precisely and cross-cut boards.
– How to make simple mortise joints (for the stool project).
– How to sand wood.
– How to use a Cordless Drill, Jigsaw, Mitre Saw, Drill Press
and Nail Gun.
Make a Lidded Box with mitred corners and a handle and in the process learn the following:
– How to use a Table Saw, Band Saw, and Belt Sander.
– How to cut angles on the Mitre Saw and Table Saw.
– How to cut Dados (slots) using a Table Saw.
– How to glue pieces together.
How to finish with wood stain and oils, and in the process learn the following:
– How to prepare a surface for staining/oiling.
– How to apply stain and oil.
– How to get a smooth finished surface.
Must be 15 years old and above.
Those from 15-18 will need a parent/guardian to sign a waiver.
Besides that, must be curious yet patient, able to use tools responsibly and to follow instructions. Everyone can craft something out of wood – so most of all you will need a desire to use your innate, though possibly hitherto hidden, skills to craft and create.
1) Covered shoes.
2) Your own dust mask if you are sensitive to sawdust or fine airborne particles.
3) A great attitude and a yearning to learn and improve in a team environment.